Monday, January 16, 2017

Nintendo Switch: Should I Get One?





On Friday the 13th, Nintendo unveiled to the world extra details about it's upcoming console, the Nintendo Switch. Prior to the announcement, the only news we had was the reveal trailer released a couple months ago. Let's start from there and gauge my reactions over the time.





I was definitely excited about the concept of the console because what was displayed initially sold me. Many features includes it's portability, local multiplayer, and the ability to invite a second player to join you at any time due to the design on the joycons, Nintendo Switch's default controllers. One of the things I noticed from the video were scenes of adults enjoying the console, showing that the Switch will also cater to the 30+ crowd as well. 

To me that meant that there will be older, mature games on the system. The main reason I believe the PS2 is one of the best consoles of all time is because of it's game library. It felt like the gaming industry was growing up along the consumers and noticing that more adults are playing videos games. I really hoped that Nintendo realized that a console will not succeed without a great game library. When I saw that guy play Skyrim on the reveal video, it gave the impression that Nintendo will give us adult gamers something worthy to be on the system. We already know that Nintendo kills it in first-party support. They also have the advantage of amassing a loyal fan base over the years. Honestly, Nintendo can release their main hits like they've done for every console, and continuously make bank. Just put Mario or Pokemon in the front and the kiddies (and grown men) will eat it like candy. The main issue, however, is Nintendo also need to focus on the core gamers as well. Not entirely, but add some incentives to make them want to get a Nintendo console aside from Mario. I had high hope that they finally came to their senses.

...then came the Press Release.




My first reaction was utter disappointment. They completely missed the boat, I thought. Why the hell were the main focus the motion controls on the joycons?? Don't get me wrong, they are excellent features, but they should've just focused on the multiplayer aspect of the joycons showing that they work separately as fully functional controllers and move on. You do NOT start your conference showcasing the gimmicks of the system! Granted 1,2, Switch and Arms look interesting, it's something that should've been a tertiary feature instead of  a primary one. 

The games coming out on release are also disappointing. Outside of the new Zelda game, who really cares about Bomberman and Just Dance??  They seriously dropped the ball on this one unless there are more games that will be ready for release. Also, how you don't have a Mario game ready for release? Not even Mario Kart, which is mainly a WiiU port will not be ready on release. It would've made a lot more sense to have just released the console closer to the holidays so at the very least it could've had a Mario game bundled in. Another thing- why is 1,2 Switch a stand-alone title and not something that's bundled with the console? That would make a lot more sense as I don't believe it's stable enough to stand on it's own. As strong as their first-party support is, they failed in this aspect.

Another aspect is the price. It would be released in the US for $299. Honestly the price doesn't bother me in the slightest, because it could've been priced much higher. What sucks, though, are the prices for the accessories. $40 for one joycon or $80 for both. The more traditional Switch Pro controller costs $70. That's a bit on the high side if you ask me. Another issue is paying for online service after a couple month of release. I don't own a modern console, so I'm not experienced with Xbox live or whatever service Ps4 has. If I have to pay, as long as the price is good, I don't mind. At this point, any motivation to get the console almost died. Until...



This video showcased the Switch's hardware up close and gameplay of some of the games being released. There, some faith has been restored. Although I wish I would have seen some Mario gameplay, the games they showed were pretty cool. Zelda looked gorgeous and of course I can't wait to play that. The surprise was watching 1,2,switch gameplay. It really looks hella fun with a group of people. I also can't wait for Sonic Mania and the Street Fighter game. Now those games were made for gamers like me that grew up in that 2d era. Not much to say about this video since it was just gameplay, but I'm back excited..cautiously.

At the end of the day it's all about the games. Considering I'm a PC player, getting a Switch would be a better fit than getting a Ps4 or Xbox1. The only thing I'm missing out on those consoles are certain exclusives, but the main games I care about are multi-platform or PC exclusive anyways. So should I get one? Right now leaning towards yes, but very slightly. That scale can tip to "no" at anytime though, so it depends on what we hear down the line. Don't fuck it up, Nintendo!

No comments:

Post a Comment