Sunday, July 26, 2015

So I finally beat GTA:V - My thoughts


On this day, I finally completed the story mode of Grand Theft Auto V! I promised myself I wouldn't speak about this game until I completed the story. With so much recent distractions in the past couple months (including having no internet connection), it prevented me from completing it sooner, outside of general burnout. My money was well spent, though, because I believe this is one of the most polished, complete modern game I've ever played. Here are my quick thoughts.

What I liked:
What don't I like about this game?? The graphics are a step up from the previous GTA, and the PC version is amazing in the extra features they added, like a first person view, and actual optimized graphics! I didn't think I would get the hang of controlling three different characters, but quickly fall in love with the concept. Rockstar fleshed out the main protagonists very well, and each have their receptive personality that you won't forget.  I enjoyed the missions as well. Almost all of them were unique and just plain fun to carry out. The world is huge and you will be doing a lot of driving. At least the view is great regardless of where you go. If you're lazy, you can always call a cab and get there quicker. (Yea I'm guilty of doing that a couple times)

The non-essential parts of the game are just as awesome. The amount of music per radio station is insane and feels genuine, as every time you play, you will more than likely hear a song you haven't came across yet. I also like when you do a major heist, it's reflected when you listen to the radio. Also certain stocks are affected (yes, you can play the stock market in this game) if you kill a big name. Like the other games, there are a lot of activities you can partake in such as golf, tennis, racing, parachute jumping, strip clubs, and more. There's special missions called "Strangers and Freaks" that happen randomly throughout the game. And of course, if you don't want to follow the story, you can do whatever the hell you want.

The story works well within the game. It won't blow you away, but what make the story works are the incredible characters within it. Part of that is due to the phenomenal voice acting. It's one of the best I've heard in a video game. The actors really breathe life into all the characters, especially the main three. They come from different lifestyles, yet they stick together and maintain this odd relationship. From Franklin's street background, to Micheal's cushy living, to Trevor's psychotic mindset. Watching them interact with each other is like watching magic. I especially enjoyed Mike's and Trevor's interactions; as if you can tell they (kinda) really care for each other with their back and forth bickering. They're not the only ones, though. From the random conversations you hear on the streets, to the angry driver you just cut off, the voice acting is purely top notch.

What I didn't like:
There was only one thing I did not like. I'm not sure about the other versions, but the PC version requires you to play online. This was the biggest reason why it took so long to beat. I was pretty unstable the past couple months, and there were certain blocks of time I wasn't able to connect online. I can understand needing to be online to play GTA:Online, but for the story mode, you should be able to access it regardless of your online status.

Also, not necessarily a bad thing, but the credit screen at the end of the game. I have never seen credits last more than 30 minutes in any game, but it demonstrates how much effort was put into this game, and it shows! Every name should be mentioned in this masterpiece of a game because they deserve the recognition.



Conclusion:
These are my thoughts on the story mode of GTA:V. I haven't played enough of GTA:Online to say anything about it, but that may change in the future. Overall the story mode is excellent and you won't be disappointed. Even if you are unsure about picking this one up, if you're into a good story with great acting, or enjoy sandbox adventures, I say give it a try! Until then readers!



No comments:

Post a Comment