Thursday, October 22, 2015

My thoughts on the Tides of War [spoilers]




One day on WoW insider, this video was featured on thier machinima column, WoW Moviewatch. The vid was good, so good that it motivated me to get the latest e-version of the back. Never in a long time (maybe ever!) that I have been so engaged in a book! It took me only 2 days to complete the entire book and I have a lot of thoughts about the events that transpired.



What I like:

For the most part I thought the pacing was appropriate. Each section gave the reader a little bit of what's going on in the scenario before switching to another scene. It almost felt like I was reading a movie instead of watching it, as most movies are known for stuff like that.

I actually liked when Jaina and friends were seaching for the focusing Iris. The interaction wass pretty cool and it felt like something that Jaina would actually do. She was always in constant thought, like her brain is a machine with the gears constantly turning.

The sense of loss. Basically I'm saying that when people died, especially when Rhonin and the appretence died, you felt that. When Jaina saw her apprentice turn to violet dust and she completely flipped out, you felt that as well. When the Allicance got completely destroyed at Northwatch Hold...well you get the point. I honestly felt bad for the Alliance in this book.

Baine Bloodhoof and Vol'jin. I love these guys. They both are pretty much between a rock and a hard place. I know they both love the Horde but hate Garrosh (well Vol'jin definately hates Garrosh) and they have no choice but to comply to the Warchief's demand. Baine completely hates that they are fighting an unessecary fight and I know its tearing him apart, but he has to think for his people. It's exactly why Vol'jin is keeping his mouth shut. Him and Garrosh are already on bad terms; any othe provocation could spell trouble for him and the rest of the trolls. 

The apprentice's parents. Oh man. The most tearjerking moment was when Jaina informed them that thier daughter was gone and what the father did to commerate his lost daughter's memory.

What I didn't like:

As far as canon is involved, I dont like the direction the horde is going. Now you have to admit that Garrosh had a sound plan and exectued them flawless...BUT. Northwarch Hold and Theramore were nothing but massacres. The main issue I have is that Garrosh is going back to what the old horde used to be about: complete domination. Now I'm sure the orcs are glad to have a leader that instils orchish pride, but if they continue going down this particular path, it will be like history repeating itself when his father was still alive.

Thrall. Oh. My. Goodness. For the most part I have (and still have) a great respect for Thrall, mainly for being one those orcs that had a completely different mindset from the others, but come on! There was nothing that he could've done to prevent such a catasthrphoe from happening?? Reading some of his lines just made me want to punch him in the face. I honestly didn't blame Jaina for wanting to smash "Go'el's" face in. I mean I understand that he has a different path but HE choose Garrosh to be the warchief. I guess its too easy for the most powerful Shaman in Azeroth to dispatch a power-hungry orc and would probably make for a more boring book.


What was 'meh':

Jaina and Kalecgos. It seems like in almost every book/movie there has to be some sort of love interest. I guess the intereaction with them was okay, but at least it wasn't shoved down our throats. For the most part it was very subtle, yet obvious what was going on.


Overall I thought the book was fucking awesome and I would reccommend it to anyone interested in the WoW lore, or not. If you just love a good, somewhat tragic story, Tides of War will not dissapoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment