Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Bargain Bin: Fallout 3


With all this Fallout 4 hoopla going on, I figured it was the perfect chance to start a series I haven't experienced yet. On sale for a whopping $2.99 each, I purchased Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I have to say, my first experiences in the Wastelands were pretty good, so to speak.


First of all, I had no idea it played like an Elder Scrolls game! That was a big plus, as I were somewhat familiar with the game mechanics. Secondly, the story sucked me in so quick I forgot I was (and still am!) subbed to WoW. This game demanded all my attention from the start.

As far as graphics, I was actually surprised at how nice they were for a 2008 game, albeit the super grey palate. Yes, it did look depressing throughout, but that's pretty much their situation, so the developers nailed the atmosphere. Sound wise it was very minimal, with very few music outside the ambient noise of the Wasteland. The acting is pretty much hit-or-miss. I appreciate Fawkes, but his voice sounded like they were trying too hard to sound like a mutant. Same with some of the the other voices, though voices like Dr. Li and the supply lady in Megaton (forgot her name) sounded exceptional. 


Game-play is a mixed bag. The control for shooting, flat out, sucks. If it wasn't for the V.A.T. system, this game would've been in trouble. Speaking of which, I enjoy using the V.A.T. system for making precise shots, and it adds a tactical-like flair to the game. I also like the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and perks systems. You have the freedom to your character any way you want, from a super silver tongue, to a melee powerhouse. There's also workshops to make items and whatnot, but never got into them, since my goal was to complete the game to head over to New Vegas. Fortunately in that game, the shooting controls have been improved.

If you're like me and never got into the Fallout series, now is the best time to start! It's not $2.99 anymore, but its still a great deal.

Price: $9.99 ($19.99 for Game of the Year Edition)
Link: Steam Store



No comments:

Post a Comment