Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Overwatch's Latest Update and...Lucioball?



So I got a pleasant surprise starting with a notification on my desktop about an update that was completed on Overwatch. Curious, I opened the launcher and checked out the patch notes. To my delight, it was about a new event called the Overwatch Summer Games 2016. Obviously it's commemorating the summer 2016 Olympics with it's assortment of Olympic-based unlocks, which include skins, sprays, emotes, highlight intros and victory poses. Unlike the current unlockables, you can only unlock the event stuff through the appropriately themed loot box. 


Another aspect of the Summer Games event is the unique brawler challenge, aptly named, Lucioball. In this special brawl, it's a timed 3v3 soccer match with only Luico as the playable character. The team that scores the most points before time runs out wins. I only played one game, and it was a little difficult lining your shots at first, but it was still pretty fun. The other team kicked our butts though. It looks like something that can get competitive once players get the hang of the mechanics. Great for soccer fans!


One thing that caught my eye that I don't know if other's noticed, but they adjusted the hero's positions in the hero gallery. Prior to the change, all the heroes were evenly positioned, creating 11 columns. Now it seemed like they took two of the heroes and placed them on the upper row, creating 12 columns, but leaving two black spaces below them. Could this be a clue that they're going to add two more heroes in the near future? It's crazy the things I pay attention to.

Overall, this was a nice little addition to the game that I didn't expect. The event is about 3 weeks long, so that's enough for those with time (and fat wallets) to unlock some cool stuff. I'm impressed how Blizzard is handling the updates in this game. Speaking of which, my thoughts about Overwatch will be coming soon! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment